Adoption Checklist for Healthcare Workers
When a woman is admitted to the hospital in active labor, determine if an adoption plan is already in place.
When NO PLAN is yet in place:
Remember, a woman can still make an adoption plan for her baby during labor or after birth. It’s never too late!
- Call the National Adoption Hotline to request appropriate paperwork and speak with an Adoption Professional: 1-800-923-6602.
- Assist patient in completing the required paperwork to begin the adoption process.
- Fax or email the patient’s paperwork back to the adoption professional.
- Proceed as below. An adoption plan is now in place.
When THERE IS already an adoption plan in place:
- Contact the adoption professional involved.
- Stay in touch with adoption professionals by phone.
- Review patient’s preferences with hospital personnel, including night staff, regarding an adoption plan.
- Honor the patient’s wishes regarding her hospital plan, involvement of the adoptive parents, and postpartum preferences for a private room, in accordance with hospital policy.
- Help the patient prepare hospital release form for her baby to leave the hospital with the adoptive parents of her choice.
Request a Complementary Adoption Kit for Your Office, Clinic, or Hospital
- Healthcare guide
- Sample adoption brochures to review– you can order more for free!
- Adoption pocket cards
- Information about FREE adoption training for your facility
- And more!